NEWS & AUDITIONS > AUDITION
ANNOUNCING AUDITIONS FOR OUR MAY PRODUCTION
A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM
The Heights Players, 26 Willow Place, Brooklyn, NY 11201 is holding open auditions for all roles for its May production of A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum. The production is being directed by Thomas N. Tyler; musical director - Anne Rebold; choreographer - Hilary Goldman. Audition dates are Monday, March 6 and Tuesday, March 7 at 7:00 p.m. Call backs, if necessary, will be held on Wednesday, March 8. Production dates are May 12 through 28. The audition will consist of the following: 1) dance audition - several different combinations of varying difficulty depending upon role; 2) singing - please check individual roles for vocal audition requirements; and 3) monologue reading - you will be asked to read at least one of the monologues. Please wear appropriate clothes and footwear for dance (women should bring heels and jazz, ballet or character shoes). You must arrive at auditions before 8:30 p.m. if you wish to be seen.
Please note: All information needed for auditions is available here. You will find 1) character descriptions; 2) monologues (choose one to read - those reading for Pseudolus will be asked to read both; and 3) tentative rehearsal and performance schedule. Please be prepared to list all conflicts at auditions. We do not schedule appointment auditions. Any questions that you may have should be answered in the attached material.
All roles are open:
- Pseudolus / Prologus: Tour de force role. Strong comedian. Slave to Hero. Strong character baritone. Must move well. Audition song "Comedy Tonight."
- Hero: Naive juvenile. Tenor - some movement. Audition song - "Lovely."
- Philia: Pretty young virgin - Hero's love interest - not the sharpest pencil in the box. Soprano - some movement. Audition song - "Lovely."
- Hysterium: Slave to Senex and Domina - nervous hot mess. High baritone - should move well. Audition song - "Lovely."
- Senex: Henpecked husband, but a dirty old man at heart. Character baritone - should move well. Audition song - "Comedy Tonight."
- Domina: Senex's shrewish overbearing wife. Mezzo - some movement. Audition song - "That Dirty Old Man."
- Marcus Lycus: Buyer and seller of courtesans - should move well. Audition song - "Comedy Tonight."
- Miles Gloriosus: Miltary captain - full of himself. Baritone - some movement. Audition song - "Bring Me My Bride." ("I Miles Gloriosus" section)
- Erronius: Old, senile myopic man - minimal movement and singing. Audition song - "Comedy Tonight."
- The Courtesans: Featured female dancers. All have solo numbers. Audition song - "Comedy Tonight." Includes the following roles:
- Gymnasia: A giant stage on which a thousand dramas may be played - love interest to Pseudolus.
- Pancacea: A face that holds a thousand promises and a body that stands behind each promise.
- Tintinabula: Out of the East, the face of an idol, the arms of a willow tree and the pelvis of a camel. Belly dancing helpful.
- Vibrata: A wild tigress.
- The Geminae: A matched pair of twins - the possibilities are endless.
- The Proteans: A group of actors who play multiple roles, including slaves, citizens, eunuchs, sailors, soldiers, etc. Comedic versatility and movement a must. Can be male or female. Audition song - "Comedy Tonight."
- Ensemble: Will appear in a variety of roles and numbers. Male and Female. Audition song - "Comedy Tonight."
The Heights Players is a non-paying, non-equity organization.
There is a $20 membership fee if cast.